Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Catching Up, Part 3

I'm sure this has all been a bit dry and I'm a few days behind.  I'll try and caught up on this post.  So maybe I can do a better job at capturing the moment.

We are working twelve hour days to get what we need done.  Add in 4-5 hours a day for meals, getting ready in the morning, and walking to and from the docks and there isn't much time for anything else.

6 May 2006

Paul gave us a tour and showed us all of the information systems on the boat, which are quite a few on a science vessel.  We went to lunch at a place called Lomit's which was decent.  Nothing fancy, but good.  My best analogy is that it is like a Chilean dinner, but not so greasy.  We then worked some more and then after work went out for dinner with a few of the people from the NBP.  Everywhere was closed because it was Sunday except, Lomit's.  It was great to sit with the people from the ship and hear their stories about their travels.  A lot of the people who sign up for jobs on the ships have really seen a lot.  Probably the most interesting was John Evans.  He was part of the team to first climb Vinson Massif
, the highest mountain in Antarctica, in 1966.  He's a great, personable guy that had some great stories to tell.  After dinner, we went to our hotel and to sleep.

7 May 2007

We pretty much settled into our routine of brunch at the hotel about 0645 and then a walk to the docks for a day of work on the NBP and at the warehouse.  Paul then finds a different place to go for a lunch everyday.  We work the rest of the day and then wander around the city trying to find a place someone in the office or ship recommends for dinner.  Lunch today was at El Quijote.  To start we had what Paul called the Chilean equivalent of nachos.  It's bunch of assorted, chopped, cooked meats with some onions, olives, tomatoes, and french fries mixed in.  I don't remember what it was called, but it was pretty good.  For the meal we had a soup that had half a corn on the cob, a whole potato, a chicken breast, rice, and some vegetables.  It was very good.  For dinner we ate at a pizza place that was pretty good.  Chris had a pizza that had the same meats in the Chilean nachos, plus crab meat, tomato sauce, cheese and a sauce on top called 'salsa golf' which is basically ketchup and mayo.  I had what was basically a Hawaiian pizza plus cherries.  It was tasty.  Then it was back to the hotel.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

8 May 2007
Pretty much the same as yesterday except lunch at Iralandes and dinner at O'Sole Mio.  The dinner was at an Italian place with a local twist.  The food was good and with a bottle of one of their best wines, was something like $40.  Not bad.

9 May 2007
We arrived at the pier today to discover that the Laurence M. Gould (aka LMG) had arrived.  This was of particular interest to us and this ship is going to be our home for 23 or 24 days starting on the 11th.  We were busy working and didn't get a chance to get on board.  Lunch was at Corfina(?) which was probably the least favorite so far, but I had this chicken dish that I once had in Mexico City that I really like and hadn't had since.  For dinner we wandered around looking for a place that everyone said we should visit which is somewhat like Rodizo's.  We walked all the way across town, something like 10-12 blocks and couldn't find it.  We went back to the hotel and were told that it was the opposite direction and probably a couple of miles.  We 'settled' for a place that a guy in the lobby recommended, Sotito's.  The food was great.  Chris had seafood soup with a rack of lamb and I had a fillet mignon with mushrooms.  We had another wine and the total was about $50.  Not bad either.

Well that gets us caught up for now.  I'm sure I missed some things, but I'll fill in details later.

No comments:

Post a Comment